Monday, October 17, 2011

Missing my Mother

I lost my Mother on September 18, 2011.  I do not know when I will be the same, if ever.  What follows is what I said at her service. She would have been 86 on the day we buried her, her birthday.
 
My Mom was the most amazing, kind, beautiful woman I have ever known. She always had a smile for everyone she met and especially for those she loved and cherished. Don’t get me wrong, she did frown from time to time, but that was only in her sleep.( I have photos to prove that) That was not to say that she was not strict or let my sister and I get away with anything and everything, quite to the contrary. My father was the disciplinarian, but to disappoint my mom was almost like hurting her somehow… and I never wanted to hurt my mom.

I was adopted, along with my sister Myrna, but we never felt as though we were. We were much loved and very much wanted. Even though I was rather sickly as a kid, croup, club feet, Mono at age 6, daily bloody noses… they did not throw me back, instead they kept me and loved me even more.

My Mom always encouraged me to be the very best I could be, don’t settle for less or second or third best… get what you want in life. She was a firm believer in you can be whatever you set your mind to. When I went to fashion design school, she made sure to get all the fashion rags for me so I could keep up with my studies, I think she enjoyed it as much as I did. When I went to Faux finishing school to learn how to teach it… she immediately had me re-do some rooms in mom & dad’s house… whatever I wanted to do, was fine with her, she trusted me.

When it came to my private life, my mom was not the most accepting at first, but she certainly came around. She would call and ask for Karen on the phone and they would talk football and Bret Favre and the Packers and OU… And the two of them, Karen & My mom had another thing in common; the love of food, Karen being a chef and my Mom who I swear had not one, but two hollow legs and loved to eat almost as much as she loved football.

My mom has gone to heaven, where I am sure she is having a ball with my grandparents, my Cousin Linda, and all the family that has passes before us. She is not in any pain; she can eat to her hearts content and able to walk again. My mom leaves a whole I my heart that will not ever be filled, it will heal with time, but I will miss her every day.

Thank you for indulging me.

No comments:

Post a Comment